Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Spoiling the Sick

Today Nevaeh woke up with a fever and a tummy ache. I absolutely hate it when my babies are sick. Not just because I know that it means more whining and higher maintenance, but just knowing that their little bodies are struggling makes me woozy. Well, I had the realization that many moms probably had much earlier on in their motherhood. I am officially at a stage in life where the thought of getting sick has absolutely NO benefits. I remember when I was in school hoping that I'd catch a bug so I could stay home in bed all day and watch tv. Even as a newlywed I was ok with coming down with something because it meant I could justify ignoring my endless to-do list and just chill for a day. Now, I know most moms say that that all ended the second they had kids, but it didn't end for me until Memaw passed away. Because while she was alive, it was still kinda fun to get sick. The second she heard that I wasn't feeling well she would hightail it over to my house, bathe and dress the kids, fix us all lunch, take the kids outside for a walk or to play, bring them in and read them a book, put them down for a nap, clean my house, then sit on the sofa with me and watch some Lifetime Movie or Oprah. It was supa fun.
But today as I thought about possibly getting the bug that Vaeh has, I was filled with horror. Getting sick means nothing now except that I'll be extra miserable while cooking, feeding kids, dressing kids, changing diapers, and teaching the girls. The perks are over.
So I vowed that I would make an effort to always bestow blessings on the sick in my family, and you should do the same. Whether it's our hubbies or our kids, we should be an angel of healing to them, bearing soup and juice and remote controls. Sometimes it's hard because, as busy wives and moms, we don't have time to deal with whiny men/kids. "Just lay down and be quiet so I can accomplish my goals for the day." But I say, go out of your way to spoil a sick person silly, even if it means putting everything on hold for a day. It will probably, like, cut the healing time in half. And don't we all miss those days?
Now, if you are one of my precious girls reading this in the future, I hope that you can't say that you miss it because even when you're grown I plan on swooping in and saving the virus-infected day. I hope that when all of the moms around you are complaining about how terrible it is to be sick, you are secretly hoping for a little cold to come your way just so you can be spoiled for a day by your Momma.

No comments: