Monday, September 6, 2010

Meals on Wheels

Today's project that I would like to pass on to my dear daughters is...take a meal to someone. A sweet couple that we are friends with have a 1 month old baby girl and the daddy had to have surgery this weekend, so we delivered a meal to them and got to check up on them, talk a little, and of course hold that precious baby. I know from being on the receiving end of many good meal deliveries that having such a basic need met during seasons of transition and/or recovery is priceless. And it's one of the few forms of help that people are more apt to be willing to receive these days. For instance, I begged that new mommy to call me one night when she realllly needs some sleep and let me get up with the baby and handle feedings and just hold her. But I doubt she'll take me up on that. I probably wouldn't. You just feel like, "I can't ask someone to do THAT much for me.". But if you call someone up who has had a baby or surgery or just got home from adopting or even just for no good reason other than spreading some love and say, "Hey. I wanna bring you and your fam some dinner tomorrow night. Is that ok?", you're much more likely to get a green light. And if you aren't of the culinary type, there's always Pizza Hut and KFC and even grocery store delis. No one really cares if it's homemade. It's showing you care and relieving someone of cooking duty for a night.
A lot of people in the church world are quite familiar with the idea of delivering meals to fellow members, but I say let's bust it out of the church. What about feeding the fam of someone you work with or a stressed out mom you know from your kids' gymnastic class or maybe one of your kids teachers or someone at your gym whose husband left them. It doesn't have to be ran through some church calendar meal ministry. There's something even more sweet and charming about it if someone knows that you just came up with it on your own instead of "signing up for it". Then again, I got a lot of "signed up for" meal deliveries after having each of my babies and they were appreciated as much as any spontaneous act of love, soooo...
Anyway, there's your challenge. Break out your best recipes, buy some disposable bowls and pans (it's always better when they don't have to worry about returning dishes to you), and be someone's dinner fairy. You'll be hard pressed to find someone who will turn you down.

No comments: