Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"Purge the Kitchen Week"

I realize that this is the third post in a row about food. What can I say? I like to eat.
Every now and then, to test your creativity, you should resist restocking the ol' pantry and fridge and see how long you can create meals out of all of the random things that have been sitting in there forever. Dinner may look a little funny...frozen corn, wild rice pilaf, and turkey sandwiches. Or maybe baked beans, alfredo noodles, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Regardless, it's fun to stretch your grocery money an extra week and start seeing some empty shelves in your pantry/fridge/freezer. Plus you find the things that it's time to throw away or maybe donate to a local food pantry. If you're not willing to eat it during "purge the kitchen week", you're probably never gonna eat it.
Tonight was nearing the end of said week at the Long house, and there was hardly a side to be found to go with our leftover bbq sandwiches. I'm proud to say that my dear family didn't voice one complaint at the white rice that I served alongside it. And then we had a bowl of muscadines for dessert. I was just determined to get another meal or two out of what we have. It may have something to do with my aversion to grocery shopping on beautiful days like we've been having. But whatever the reason, our bellies are full and my cupboards are quite bare. And I love seeing empty spaces in my house. There's just something relieving to me about it:)

No comments: