Friday, September 3, 2010

Shed the Stuff

Never underestimate the therapeutic qualities of a good, old-fashioned yard sale. We had one today and I absolutely LOVE the feeling of bringing armful after armful of junk out of my house knowing that it will never again enter it. I literally spent the whole day going through every closet and drawer and nook and cranny in my entire abode and lugging it out onto the driveway where quite a crowd of people were digging through it and, get this, GIVING ME MONEY FOR IT!!! It was amazing!! Especially since every penny earned is going towards the adoption we are currently in the middle of. I found myself saying, "I truly am a minimalist at heart." And then I thought, "Actually, I guess we are all really minimalists at heart...wired that way by our Creator." You know? I really think that "stuff" is toxic in a way, and every now and then we need to strip our household down to the bare necessities. Kinda like how people fast to get the toxins out of their bodies (I'm referring to the diet, "health nut" fast...not the spiritual kind). And you would be surprised at how you just feel less stress when it's all said and done. It's like a diet for your house. And if money is not an issue for you (or you just hate the idea of spending a weekend bartering with complete strangers), pare down your belongings anyway and haul them off to a charity or thrift shop. It's never really about the money. In fact I always go into a yard sale reminding myself of this. It's about decluttering that special place you call home and knowing that everything that's left are really things that you love, use, or need. I mean, why does someone who doesn't drink wine need 18 wine glasses? And how did my extreme cheapness in the area of gift bags culminate in a HUGE bin of them for every occasion taking up at least 10 square feet of space? There are literally families in Brazil whose entire living quarters equal my ex-gift bag storage!! Absurd!
So go through your junk and quit holding on to those shorts you may wear next year or that microwave casserole bowl that some recipe may call for using one day. Even the little things that grandma gave you or are from high school...if it's not special enough to put in a prominent place, let it go. I make this promise to my kids: I will never come to your yard sale and have hurt feelings about things you're getting rid of that I gave you. In fact, I'll high five you and be proud of your ability to keep material things in their rightful place...they serve you, not the other way around. When they cease to serve you because they're crammed in the back of the junk drawer, send 'em packin'.
And let all that work be a reminder to try your hardest to accumulate less from now on. ("Hmmm, I just sold 3 tons of flip flops that I have never worn so maybe I won't go crazy this time when Old Navy has their $1 sale.")

No comments: