Friday, September 17, 2010

The Fifth Wall

Today I did something that I've been wanting to do for a long time but just haven't gotten around to it. I've always loved the concept of painting the ceiling in a room to make it feel more complete. Unfortunately all of the ceilings in my house have that terrible, starburst bumpy stuff on them, and the ugliness of that has just unmotivated me to pay them any attention. I mean, really. That has to be just a lazy, construction guy solution. No interior designer was like, "Hmmm. Those ceilings just look too clean and sharp. I know! Hey, hand me that sponge and some sheetrock mud. I'm gonna add some pizazz!".
But we are transforming a previous junk room/office/boy's bedroom into Alana's bedroom, and I realized something...her room is the ONLY room in the house with a nice, smooth finish. So I decided to christen my abode with a painted ceiling. Finally. And I must admit that it's cute as pie. I chose a very light, airy blue so that it almost looks like you're looking up at the sky. We all love it. All it cost is $20 for the paint, and I have lots left over that I'm thinking about using in our baby girl's room who will be coming soon. And it only took me 2 hours to cut in and do 2 coats all by myself with 3 kids constantly swarming around me. So that tells you it's fairly simple. I'm even talking myself into painting the ceiling in my guest bathroom, even though it's bumpy. I'm just gonna try using one of those rollers for textured surfaces. I may regret it...but we'll see.
So, pick a room, a super light color, and show some love to that fifth wall. Especially if you're blessed enough to have some sparkling white crown molding. It'll really make it pop.

Disclaimer: My arms and neck are-how should I put it-KILLING ME, but I'm trying to think of it as a good thing. Like when you're sore after working out. So, it's a bonus. P90X ceiling painting.

No comments: