Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baking, Birthweek, Battlestar Galactica

Last Saturday I added to my appliance family. Ever since we got married (8 1/2 years ago) I have wanted one of these:

Of course, not many people spend that kind of money on a wedding gift, so we didn't get it. Then every year for my birthday or Christmas or Mother's Day it would cross my mind, but I always chickened out on asking for it because they are so darn expensive! We're talking close to $400!! That's crazy. So, life went on with little to no baking. And when I did bake, I would use a $15 hand mixer from Wal-Mart until it blew up and then I'd buy another one. Well, last weekend I cracked. I was at Kohl's searching for a non-chrome breadbox (which, by the way, doesn't exist) when I came across the deal of a lifetime. The lovely KitchenAid Artisan stand mixers were marked down from $365 to $299. I had a 30% off coupon, and there is a manufacturer's rebate for $30. So I paid around $190 for it plus I got $40 in Kohl's cash to go towards the new bath towels I need. That right there is exciting! And not a moment too soon for Jono's birth week. The first thing I made were some yummy peanut butter cream sandwich cookies and I became a believer. It was so fun just leaving that thing running and dumping all of the ingredients in as I found them. My philosophy now is that baking just isn't worth it without this beauty. By the way, those cookies were amazing...here's the recipe.
Now let's refer back to "birth week". Yes, we Long's celebrate the whole week of our birth. We adopted this glorious idea from a very sweet family at our church who actually celebrate "birth month". Now I was all game for birth month, but that was definitely too extreme for Jono. So birth week it is. His started Sunday, and every day until the 13th he gets to pop a balloon, find the clue in it, and have a little surprise. Sunday he got a Home Depot shopping trip. Actually more of a window shopping trip, but it was fun. Monday we ate Japanese and went to the mall with our friends Angie, Allison, and Nathan. Tuesday we had a date night to the movies (which is really a treat to us because I cringe at the idea of paying $20 for it). Wednesday he got some birthday notes and pictures from his dear students, and today I surprised him with a trip to the State Capitol. That was a home run. I have officially raised the bar for birth week. He got a tour of the building, he got to meet Governor Sonny Purdue, and we got a family picture with the governor that will be signed and mailed to us. And here's a shout out to my sister-in-law whose dad is Representative Len Walker who made all this possible. Sooooo, two more days to the big 3-0. What else could I possibly have up my sleeve???
Oh, December 13th better be the beginning of a pure week of bliss for me...
P.s. There is obviously no reference to Battlestar Galactica in this post. That was just a little something for all you Office fans!

1 comment:

Autumn Dell said...

So where does Battlestar Galactica come in? Or is that a clue as to the plans you still have up your sleeve?