Monday, April 26, 2010

A Call to Die

Today is just a quick book suggestion. I'm going to try and mention good books a lot as I come across them because I think they make good mentors. When I have times in my life when there's not someone there pouring into me and discipling me personally, I always turn to books. I love all kinds of genres, but I've had to pretty much nix all fiction books at this stage of my life because I have so little time to read I figure that I better make it something extremely useful. So fiction is reserved for laying on the beach, otherwise it's good books that teach me and grow me spiritually.
The book for today is actually a devotional created for students, but I recommend it for adults as well. It's called "A Call to Die" by David Nasser. I am currently going through it with my small group of 10th and 11th grade girls. It's my 3rd time through it and it's still wearing me out. It really is an awesome tool to step up your quiet times. It suggests carving out an hour a day for it, but if that sounds overwhelming you could cut out some of the journaling. I totally recommend actually doing all of the journaling because it really helps you focus on what God is specifically telling you, but I think the book is so good that I'd rather you skip the writing than not read it at all. Some of the applications are more student-focused, but overall it is really for anyone. If you have a teenager in your life (son or daughter, niece/nephew, a kid from church, neighbor), kill two birds with one stone and go through it together...you grow and they get discipled.
It's a 40 day journey of fasting from the world and feasting on God. I've haven't heard of anyone who's gone through it that didn't LOVE it. Click on the pic below to buy it!!!

No comments: